!!!!!!


For those of you who haven't been reading since the beginning, most of the non-fiction posts really need to be read in sequence as they tend to build on each other.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

One Drop



For a change of pace...I wrote this soon after my first daughter was born.  It would take an infinite number of perspectives to tell the true tale of any experience.  One Drop attempts to recount one story from three.  Structured after its primary metaphors of a waterfall and an hourglass, the climax of One Drop is found in the center of the story.  That which precedes and recedes from the central moment of grace attains meaning by what we carry to and from such a moment. 


Part I
There is a waterfall in the desert.  There may be more, but I have seen one.

Fully formed I fell from the heavens.  Unlike my sisters and brothers whose numbers are like the stars, I did not drop on the sand, haplessly exposed to the hunger of the heat.  I was fated to join the river.  My fate was salaam.

*             *             *

                There is a waterfall in the desert.  There may be more, but I have seen one.  I can take you there.

                Allah be praised.  The German just may be my salvation.  How else was I going to fulfill my promise to Um-Khalid, my mother-in-law?  How does a woman of such influence have a fart of a jackass for a nephew?  And how did she buy her way to such social status?  Her sister is but a poor village hag, bent over like a broken olive tree.  When I married Zein, Um-Khalid warned me that her sister had married for love.  I, on the other hand, would treat her daughter right or else find myself living among the garbage.  So what’s all the fuss about bringing her nephew to Cairo?  Women love their secrets better than their men.  Thank God for foreigners.
 
*             *             *

                There is a waterfall in the desert.  There may be more, but I have seen one. 

                “This is ‘Beit-el-Sabaah’ village; the village of the morning,” said our guide, Ziyad.  “My friend lives here and we can break our Ramadan fast with him.”
                The three of us had been designated by our guide as The German—the one who had set up this trip, but who was actually from Holland; the American Bedu—my brother-in-law who had lived in Jordan for the first twelve years of his life and spoke fluent Arabic; and I was Frenchie, as I happened to be wearing a beret that day and had been given a francophone name by my Swiss mother.  Leaving our car near the road, we walked through the cultivated fields, observing the irrigation systems powered by donkeys.  Most of those whacking the donkeys’ asses were young boys whose agility when mounting their practical steeds was impressive.  Ziyad had a package wrapped in newspaper under his armpit as he walked, happily chatting about the status of the fields and the prosperity of this excellent village.  The package was the same one he had stuffed under The German’s seat, who was driving as we passed a checkpoint manned by interrogating guards.  As tourists we were given relatively little hassle.

*             *             *

                True salaam approaches eternity.  One may drift for years but it is only a single moment, a single action.  Only the wind is restless in the desert.

*             *             *

                Some like to gossip and say I only know how to make easy and unreliable money, but they are simply jealous.  I cannot forget how everyone laughed when I chose to study English instead of business.  But the world is changing and I have a knack for sniffing out the right winds.  If only Zein would believe in my ability.  She is a conniver and has found out my plan.  I had to make her swear not to tell her mother, but she thinks I am a crazy fool all the same—especially now that The German has invited two friends.  Well, piss on her and her mother.  They will see what I can do.  I will fetch this wretched nephew and have myself a time with my friend Mahmoud all while being paid as a guide.  The plan is so beautiful, even Allah must look down and chuckle.  The only challenge will be The German’s friend, the American Bedu.  Like me, he understands both Arabs and Westerners.  This is dangerous.  The other one is only a pretty boy who married the Bedu’s sister and is full of himself because he got her pregnant on their wedding night.

*             *             *

                Passing through the fields, we suddenly came out in front of an open expanse of water.  After driving for miles through utterly barren desert, the lake made me giddy.  I half expected to see a melting clock hanging from some gnarled driftwood.  Several hundred yards out, an egret stood on one leg only thigh deep.  The sun was low and just to the side of the bird, reflecting a long, corrugated, orange path to the edge of the water.
                “I don’t get it,” I said to my brother-in-law.  “What’s this doing here?”
                “Pharaonic engineers,” came the answer.  “They channeled flood water from the Nile thousands of years ago.  I think it’s older than the pyramids.”
                I gave him my touristy “oh-of-course” nod.  Why wouldn’t water be as permanent as stone in the desert?
                “The sun has nearly set,” piped in Ziyad and began walking back through the fields away from the lake.

*             *             *

                Salaam.

*             *             *

                Mahmoud is a teacher.  He teaches many of the village children simple English phrases when they are allowed such luxuries.  He understands which way the wind blows these days.  He also understands what a ‘good time’ really is.  That is why we are such fast friends.  I knew it would only take a few good puffs on the sheesha for him to see what a riot it would be accompanying the foreigners to see the oasis.  They even want to sleep out there.  Do they think deserts are always hot?  But Mahmoud and I know just the place to take them when they realize sleeping out there is ridiculous.  Being the culturally sensitive kind, they would not dream of not accepting our hospitality.  Hell, they did not eat anything all day, just to respect Ramadan.

*             *             *

                We had eaten our supper with bread and hands and the tea had been poured.  The religious observance and rural life were romantically appealing in their seamless interaction.  With the tea also came the sheesha, and that precious little package was opened so that its contents could be added to the apple tobacco.  Our guide and his teacher-friend soon became quite jolly.  I was too suspicious of what was being smoked, but the others accepted the water bong with happy cordiality.  We were soon back in our car, the anticipation of the oasis now punctuated with hilarity.
                When we arrived we were intercepted by several agitated Arabs in their faded-blue gallabiyyeh’s.  The oasis was not open at this time of night, we were told.  We would have to return tomorrow.  From the amused interpretation of my brother-in-law, it was evident that Ziyad was playing the social status card.  These pathetic excuses for guards were explicitly told that they needed to piss off or Ziyad would personally shove their faces in their respective asses.  Mahmoud found the whole situation entirely too funny.

*             *             *

                In the hourglass the purpose of a single grain of sand is realized in a fleeting instant, simply by crossing a threshold.  There is a moment, even in eternity, which one spends forever building to, and another forever resolving from.  Even space funnels its great expanses to a tiny, infinitesimal point.  It’s as if were we to only squeeze enough quantity like a lemon-half, we would eventually wring out a true and pure drop of quality.  In our galaxy there may be only one solar system that can sustain life; and only one planet of that solar system harbors sentient beings.  And only after billions of years has life evolved to the point of creating a mind that can throw its own contemplative shadow back over the vastness of an infinite universe.

*             *             *

                To think of it.  I have met many foreigners over the years, but they so often surprise me still.  I had not figured out what they had been carrying in their large duffel bags.  I dared not guess, for foreigners can be as peculiar as women.  Yet when Mahmoud and I explained how it was getting too cold to stay out and that we knew of a place to sleep, they began pulling heavy wool blankets from their bags.  Arabs know when they have lost an argument, and as the tenth blanket was revealed, we roared with laughter at our defeat. 

*             *             *

                Out in the desert I fell once more.  Water.  Fall.  An echo of my birth.  I was flung free of the whole.  An individual once more, aware of movement, of myself, and of the space that separated me from the body of water that I would return to once my brief, defining flight was complete. 

*             *             *

                Under the brilliant stars, I sat with my brother-in-law, smoking our Camels as we contemplated the pool of water whose surface was disturbed by a waterfall no taller than ourselves.  The ceaseless churning of falling water carved out the space of silence in our minds.  I don’t know what the American Bedu heard in that silence, but that river brought many voices across the desert to me.  I heard reckless children playing in the innumerable waterways in the heart of Africa.  I heard the over-crowded streets of Cairo; a terrific churning of lives poured together, coagulating into the massive body that we name ‘city’.  I heard the flattering trust of my lover as she opens body and heart for me to pierce with wholehearted, awkward love.  And I heard the indignant cries of my daughter, born only days after I returned from the oasis.
                Then the voices were gone.  To be heard only in memory, if at all.  I reached down and scooped up a handful of water.  I hesitated, looking over at my brother-in-law.  He wrinkled his nose as if to say he wouldn’t trust the sanitation of the water.  I stuck my tongue out, down to my cupped palm.  One drop would be enough.



Part II
                Salaam.

*             *             *

                I am sure they saw through the façade, but they cooperated very politely.  I am not sure whether to be thankful or insulted.  I suppose it makes no difference.  I have fulfilled my duty to Um-Khalid and the foreigners will still pay me in full.  Besides, it was great to see Mahmoud.

*             *             *

                Arabs may be good liars, but after enough absurd explanations even tourists grow suspicious.  Ziyad insisted we had to see an ancient pyramid that few tourists ever saw.  Of course when we got there, it was the wrong hours and instead of timid villagers in gallabiyyeh’s blocking our entrance, these guards had military fatigues and rifles to match.  There was no social card to play there.  Still, Ziyad pestered The German until he took some pictures from outside the fence, thus validating Ziyad’s role as a guide.  It was only a hop, skip, and numerous potholes to an obscure village we were then led to.  Men, women, children, and donkeys near the roadside all paused in mid-action to see this strange entourage penetrating their sluggish, rural life.  The fields were not nearly as healthy as those of the Morning village, and the scars of a hard life showed through their deep, leathery wrinkles.
                Ziyad kept stealing glances at our expressions to see if we were growing angry at this strange new turn of events.  But hell, this was the real Egypt, and we felt honored to see such a naked view.  We stopped at a thatched house where tea was being readied for us, having been forewarned by the children who had ran ahead of us to announce our arrival.  Getting out of the car, we were greeted by the oldest looking creature I have ever seen.  Gnarled like some tormented olive tree, the old woman was bent at the waist, her back permanently parallel to the ground.  She had to crane her head to the side and as far back as she could, just to get a glance at our faces from the corner of her eye.  She greeted us with a toothless mumble and then hobbled away.

*             *             *

                Salaam.

*             *             *

                You should have seen Frenchie on the ride back home.  Squished between the American Bedu and my wife’s cousin, he gripped the back of my seat until his knuckles were white.  The German is a push-over, so when we came to the highway back to Cairo, I persuaded him to let me drive.  In America, only cars share the road.  But in Egypt we have donkeys, pedestrians, bicycles, busses, and the wild ones like myself.  I drive like Mohammed (may Allah’s peace be on him) rode to war.  And Frenchie looked ready to shit his pants.

*             *             *

                I just wanted to get home in one piece or I knew my wife, nine months pregnant, would never forgive me.  But a two-lane road divided into five, with objects of varying speed from 2 mph up to 55 mph, all vying for right-of-way, is enough to give one a heart attack even if you don’t end up with a donkey hoof impaled through your gut.  This highway was indeed a main artery for the city, and the size of the loads of produce carried by human, beast, and machine defied laws of physics, each unit performing a miraculous feat of balance.  Ziyad was hamming it up, using his horn as often as he spoke, trying to get glimpses of our expressions as he navigated the confluent traffic.  We had already just evaded certain death numerous times when The German decided a little revenge was in due order.  Halfway to Cairo, he switched with Ziyad and took the wheel.  The car shot off and plunged directly into the eddies and swirls and chaos of the mad highway.
                “Slow down!” screamed Ziyad incredulous.  “Don’t you see that man on the bicycle?!”
                The German looked over casually and smiled, zipping by the cyclist, clearing the man’s back-fender cargo of chickens and garlic by no more than ten inches.  On our left a monster of a bus, blaring its horn, nearly brushed our flank with its huge wheels close enough to be touched if we were to stick out an arm.  We all laughed and even Ziyad joined in good-naturedly.  The German sped on faster, the pedestrians and slower traffic now only a blur of color and noise.
                “Where the hell did you learn to drive?” Ziyad said wide-eyed.
                “I’m German right?” came the answer.  “Haven’t you ever heard of the ‘autobahn’?”

*             *             *

                Salaam.

*             *             *

                “Maa-el-Salaameh”

No comments:

Post a Comment